Created and supported by the Italian Institute of Culture in Hong Kong, – directed by Stefano Fossati
Curated by Dr. Santina Bonini – Hong Kong
Coordinated by Paolo Cacciato, Asian Studies Group director – Milan, Italy
Design made in Hong Kong 2020 – 2021 – A dialogue through creativity
The project objective is the creation and promotion of creative projects on the Design thematic front, fostering the encounter with industry, brands and institutions to enhance opportunities of a global development and cooperation for the emerging generation’s creativity, supported by institutions and businesses.
The project offers designers, business and institutions partners from Hong Kong the opportunity to present their projects in Hong Kong and during the prestigious Design Week in Milan, and to obtain a free service of product placement, communication and promotion. This creating the platform to gain international visibility and recognition.
Design made in Hong Kong project operates from March 2020 to April 2021.
The initial phase aim to identify institutions, Universities and industries to explore and define partnerships and sponsorships for the projects development. In accordance with parties involved the curator will create a ‘Proposal for Creativity’ with proposed themes reflecting the Hong Kong culture and the involved parties expertise.
The organisers will support, facilitate and coordinate the projects development from concept to fruition. All participants will submit their own project to an international jury of design experts created by the organisers.
The prototypes of the selected projects will be exhibited in Hong Kong and the Milan Design Week.
The designers, partners and sponsors will have the possibility to personally take part in the networking and promotional activities of the event during Milano Design Week.
Beyond the frame introduced above, the cross cultural cooperation between Italy and Hong Kong is reinforced with a secondary “Call for Creative Professionals – The Italian workshop in Hong Kong” that can introduce high level contents from Italy about the selected topic spread in Hong Kong.
This call is announced by Asian Studies Group partnered organisation in Milano Genius format, involving post degree young professionals in Italy (in particular with joint support by important institutes operating in the field with base in Milan (as done before with Brera Academy or IED)
After preliminary introduction to some institutes in Hong Kong, we found big interest on local operators to meet and promote themselves towards involvement of professionals from Italy as representation of international positioning as long as they would like to offer some potential opportunities on cooperation, due of the new regulamentation that will allow Italian citizens until 30 years old to get benefit through working holiday visa,
The “Call for Creative Professionals – The Italian workshop in Hong Kong” from Italy will be sustained by Milano Genius in Hong Kong through the Italian Institute of Culture as concrete opportunity to present a workshop selected by commission of experts among drafts and introductions collected in the next months.
The candidate who will get selected in the Call for Creative Professionals, will be able to attend and to manage directly special workshop in October 2020 in Hong Kong under co-organisation of the event by IIC Hong Kong. (location and introduction will be kindly offered by institutional partner)
This frame will be also useful to involve on site local students that are finalising their works for participation to Milan Design Week 2021. The representative selected from Call for Creatives will be able concretely to support and guide the chinese participants after his / her workshop in Hong Kong
It will be then a great occasion for the beneficiary to introduce himself toward network of local institutes and operators involved also in the “Call for Creativity” that will define the prototypes designed for Milan Design Week 2021.
On doing that, the project will be equal and mutually effective, introducing chinese concepts and products to italian scene during the most important event concerning design industry in Europe, and viceversa Hong Kong will host an Italian workshop selected among many presented by italian professionals interested to give a tribute to the topic of the concept.
Phase 1 – February to April 2020
- Define partnerships with industries, institutions and sponsors
- Define and regulate all parties involvement and duty
- Create a briefing in accordance with all parties expertise and objectives
- Launch the Call for Creativity ‘Design made in Hong Kong’ at the Italian Design-Day – mid March 2020. Potential location K11 Musea.
- Define content, terms, partners of “call for creative professionals – Italian workshop in Hong Kong”
- Launch in Italy of the “call for creative professionals – Italian workshop in Hong Kong”
Phase 2 – May to July 2020
- Define the projects operating schedule
- Create the subject syllabus
- Create the briefing
- Define the sponsor/industry cooperation and support
- Creation of a jury for winning projects selection
- Deadline for presenting researches eligible for being official workshop into “call for creative professionals – Italian workshop in Hong Kong” fixed in June 2020
- Assignment of benefit for official workshop into “call for creative professionals – Italian workshop in Hong Kong” fixed until middle of August 2020
Phase 3 – September 2020 to April 2021
- Coordinate and execute the project by November 2020
- workshop “call for creative professionals – Italian workshop in Hong Kong”can take place in Hong Kong on convenient time as preview of the final exhibition in Milan, so basically between october / november 2020
- Jury projects selection by December 2020
- Prototype construction by mid-February 2021
- Projects exhibition in Hong Kong by February 2021
- Selected projects exhibition in Milan Design Week, April 2021